Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Swarovski Beaded Heart Pendant

Swarovski Crystal Astral Pink heart beaded bezel pendant necklace by Rachel Graham

During one of my impulse buys from Fusionbeads.com, I had bought a giant 28mm Crystal Astral Pink Heart Pendant that I had no idea what to do with.  All I knew at the time is that I wanted it.  Close to 3 months later I was exploring Youtube for any new beading projects and I came upon this one:

 TUTORIAL: Incastonare un cuore Swarovski da 28mm

The obvious downside is that the tutorial is in Italian but I didn’t let that stop me from trying to do it.  It actually wasn’t that difficult to make out what Valentina was doing and when in doubt, I just paused the video and compared my piece with hers to make sure I was on the right track.  If anyone wants to try it, let me know and I’ll be happy to help you through it  :)

After finally finishing the beaded bezel and successfully installing the heart, I finished the design with some 3mm Crystal Bronze Bicones around the entire piece to add some extra sparkle.  I will admit that I wish I had used a more vibrant color for the bicones but I’m not complaining.

After finishing the entire pendant,  I couldn’t make up my mind on what material to use for the necklace.  I was thinking about ribbon but I didn’t have any on hand.  Gold chain seemed a little odd to pair with the beaded bezel so I landed on using 3mm brown suede cord which worked wonderfully :) 

If you’re thinking about tackling the Italian tutorial, here’s some tips that I can offer:

  • The total amount of size 11/0 delica seed beads on the first row of the beaded bezel is 72.
  • Use the thinnest thread possible.  I made a total of 3 beaded bezels before I finally got a good stitch that wasn’t too rigid.  I recommend Size O Nymo Thread or 4lb Fireline.  Anything thicker than that will result in a very stiff beaded bezel that will be almost impossible to pass through once you start adding the last rows of size 15/0 seed beads as there are many.
  • During the video, keep close attention to the beads that she skips while making the bezel.  Due to the pendant being a heart shape,  she managed to create a bezel pattern that fits perfectly around the shape and accentuates it.  For example, if you look closely at the bottom point of the beaded bezel on the top photo, you’ll notice it has fewer beads than the other points around the bezel and yet the entire beaded bezel is symmetrical.

Materials used:

-4lb Fireline

-Size 12 Beading Needle

-Size 11/0 Delica seed beads in Galvanized Champagne

-Size 15/0 Round seed beads in Transparent Dark Amber Gold Luster

-28mm Swarovski Heart Pendant in Crystal Astral Pink

-3mm Swarovski Bicones in Crystal Bronze

-3mm Brown Suede Cord, approx 32 inches

Swarovski Crystal Astral Pink heart beaded bezel pendant necklace by Rachel Graham

9 comments:

  1. Is there a chance you can write down the instructions? I need it for a project for a young lady for her wedding.

    Laura Hines
    celticmayden@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura
      I'll see what I can do :)

      Delete
    2. where can i buy written instructions for this beautiful heart?

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful!! Exactly what i was looking for! So pretty, I do wish the tutorial was in English though... Thank you so much for sharing! Cuz I couldn't find it anywhere on YouTube using English searches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too beautiful, I also like to work a bit of money recently, intend to buy some jewelry to dress myself, I prefer swarovski Pendants, I wonder if you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You want to work with a thin durable thread ?

    I work with Berkeley Company's, 4 pound, clear, Vanish, fluorocarbon fishing line.

    4 lb. = .007 inches in diameter
    6 lb. = .009 “ “ “

    You can buy it from www.fishusa.com.
    A spool of 250 Yards = 228.6 Meters

    * I put it into a fisherman's plastic box that holds 6 spools. *
    It latches closed.
    It has one hole for every division, so 6 holes you can thread the line thru and then lock tight.
    You just pull on the line, and clip off what you need.
    Similar to a scotch tape dispenser.

    No tangled thread.
    No thread unraveling all over your bag or purse.
    No lost bobbins.
    No torn paper on one side of the Nymo bobbins.
    The line can't get dirty inside the box.

    This is way better than Nymo.
    I dislike Nymo, it a lot.

    Does it have any flaws ?
    Yes.

    If you use it with a size 10 or 12 beading needle you will have to flatten the end of it, using a flat nosed pliers, to get it thru the needle's eye.

    You need to squish about 3/8 inch.
    I'm not sure why you have to flatten the beginning of it, but once it is thru, you can pull the rest thru without any trouble.

    Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon is the most flexible fluorocarbon on the market today.
    Vanish is 100% fluorocarbon line.
    Fluorocarbon line is non-absorbing and maintains it's strength (does not sag) and is abrasion resistant (good for sharp crystals).
    This 2nd generation Vanish Fluorocarbon line features an improved formula, with 20% better shock strength (if you yank on it) and improved knot strength.

    Cost without it being on sale $ 10.95
    That is only $ 0.044 / yd = $ 0.048 / meter
    or
    Less than 1 1/2 cents per foot.
    Try getting Nymo for that.

    I have bought quite a few spools, from them, over the years.
    I'm not sure though what the current price is.
    This is what it cost when I bought it.
    Sometimes they offer coupons for $5.00 off, or free shipping, which helps as well.

    I have used this fishing line for over 20 years, at least, and I still love it.
    I can use a size 12 beading needle and go thru a 15o seed bead 5 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Szidonia does an English version here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSsf58nL1EA

    ReplyDelete